{Book Review} Thirteen Reasons Why


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

If I summed up this book with one word I would say......sobering.


Synopsis:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.
_________________________

This I have to admit was a hard read for it's subject matter. I think suicide has probably touched all of our lives in some way. For me I have been touched by it too many times in my life by family members and dear friends, I could say more personal things but I will not on this forum.

This book peaked my interest because you wonder "If only they had left a note or talked to someone, you could understand it more." but in the end this book leaves you flat, raked over and trying to still understand it all. Some of the things this girl experienced, I did in Jr. H and H.S. myself, rumors hurt but for me it was how you dealt with them, everyone is different though.

I could write a lot of negative about this book, but I do think overall this book tried to show us one side we do need to learn, and I feel we need to teach our children too.......even things that seem insignificant can mean more to someone they are done to, and we need to be vigilant not to make someone 'feel less' than anyone else. Bullying needs to stop, even what some might consider mild or teasing. We need to teach others to be sensitive to all, and respectful to all even if we feel they would not do the same for us. We also need to teach-how we should not spread rumors, and not listen to rumors. Time to stop judging, and it's time to start getting to know the real them.

This book is a good discussion book with our kids, but I would not have mine read it. Too much information- or TMI as my kids would put it- in this book.

3 stars
YA-Adult (17+)
Language, alcohol use, graphic s*xual talk & r*pe is mentioned but not in detail.



~V

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...