Menu Board

Okay, I came across this idea just last week, and I cannot for the life of me find it now. So while I cannot take credit for this, whoever did... I bow to you! Their's was a little different, though... this is MY version.

I mentioned to the husband that I wanted to make one of these, so for date night, we went to the craft store. For a whole hour! He was ready to string me up by my toenails by the time we were done. He is my hero for sure!

The original called for a 12x12 frame, painted with magnetic paint, stick in a 12x12 metal tile and a clear plastic calendar thing with cute paper between them. I found the calendar thing at my local craft store (Porters), but I can barely plan a weeks worth of menu's, there was no way I could do a whole month. So dh and I put our heads together and came up with this idea instead.

We bought a plain wood frame from the craft store that is, I don't know, 7x15 (on the inside) or so? The backing was already in it, found it with the premade/unpainted wood stuff. You know the section.




Painted it with a brown paint that looked a lot like stain. Distressed the edges a bit.
Then we laid in these tiles, they were 5x7's, found them cut this way at the craft store for a couple of bucks a piece. We purchased six of them, three for each side. Dh glued them on to the board with epoxy...
Finally putting some of that food storage to good use. ;) Each side dried for a couple of hours.
Then I decoupaged some cute scrapbook paper on. Because it only comes in 12x12 (unless I don't know where to look), I had to splice it. I am not thrilled with the way the splice came out because the glue dried so fast I couldn't adust it, but it will work. We only plan for six meals a week at our house. Between eating dinner with the inlaws once a week and date night, we rarely need all seven days. (Picking out the scrapbook paper is what took us most of the hour we spent there... haha). The squares are 2x2".
I stapled some ribbon to the back...
Then, I took some plain matching paper to the copy center and had it laminated, cut out the tiles (they are 1x2") and wrote on them in my bestest handwriting with a sharpie. I have a couple of extra sheets waiting to be cut up in case I need to add more.
Add a magnet to the back of each one (purchased in a roll for a couple of bucks at the craft store). The extra's were lined up on the back in categories (or wherever they would fit).
And voila... now when my youngest comes home from school and asks what is for dinner (and I guarantee you that is the FIRST words out of her mouth every single day)... I can tell her to check the board.
(btw... having it hang from a ribbon instead of a hook on the door makes it easy to turn it over and look for more ideas. It's hanging up on the pantry door, right next to the grocery list for easy access. It does bang and swing a little, but that just means nobody can try to slam the door or hang off the doorknob anymore. Might save me some cussing. ;P).
Happy Crafting!

~kris

2 comments:

  1. oh that's darling, kris!! i've been toying with an idea, too - i think i'm going to meld your idea with mine ... is that ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My how the creative side of you has gone wild. Love it. Glad you are my sister, (For Real, not just adopted)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...