Skirts...

I get asked all the time how I make these cute skirts. People are so convinced they can't make them, but trust me, if "I" can make them, anyone can!

Start out with 3-4 different fabric choices. I usually do about 1/2 yard of each color, or two fat quarters would also work.
Prewash, iron, then lay out flat on a cutting mat. I sometimes will use a template I cut out of posterboard, but usually I just use the lines on the cutting mat. Use a rotary cutter to cut them quickly. The panels are usually 3" wide at the top and angle down to 6" or so at the bottom. If it's for an adult, I make it a bit wider, a child, a bit smaller. Or if you want a really full skirt, make it a lot wider at the bottom. Clear as mud?

Or you can do perfect rectangles and make more of a straight skirt.
Lay them out in whatever pattern you like. I choose whatever color I'm using on the bottom edge and do a couple of panels in the skirt, but it's all up to you.
If you don't have a serger, zig zag the edges, this will keep all these panels from fraying down the line. Nobody wants to be sitting in church and having a bunch of threads hanging off you. Iron all the seams down, too.
Depending on how long you want your skirt, I cut a strip of material anywhere from 3-6" in length to sew around the bottom. You can also add one at the waistband... sometimes I do, sometimes I don't depending on how much material I have. The strips usually have to be sewn together to make one really long one (especially if you are using fat quarters).
Add the elastic waistband.
Two or three hours later, you'll have this...
Here's a second one I did this weekend, also. It's more of a "pencil" skirt (I think that's what they are called?), not full at all.
Super cute. Super easy.

~kris

4 comments:

  1. i love these, kris!! so so cute!! so ... where'd you get a template for the skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! Thanks for the tutorial, not that I can sew worth anything hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER cute! I can't wait to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh!~ I didn't realize you did a tutorial - I totally could have just sent people to your post! LOL! Great skirt pattern! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...