Book Wreath



If you love books as much as I do, this will be hard ripping pages from a book, but it's fun, unique and if you go to a thrift store & buy a cheap old book you don't like-it's not that painful.

I chose old romance novels, you know those kind with muscle bound Fabio type guys, and women with their dresses draping/falling over their shoulders on the front? Yep, not my kind of book so it didn't hurt at all ripping it up! :P I only felt bad when the checkout lady told me she loved the books I bought, and asked if I loved them too? I had to be honest, and her face just dropped when I said I was going to tear them apart for a craft. Oops!
_______________


Supplies you will need:

Glue gun
Lots of glue- (I went through about 8 mini sticks)
Book- (only used one for this wreath)
Styrofoam wreath- (bought mine at a dollar store-way cheaper there, but I wish it had been thinner-you'll see why)
Ribbon, tack or pin- to hang it up with.





1 to 2 or 3 hours-depending on how many munchkins interupt you?
__________________

Note: My book had yellowed pages already, but if you want a more brown edge now is the time to paint it before you tear out the pages. Take brown craft paint, a sponge brush, and lightly brush on the paint to the top, bottom and sides of the book edges. Let dry. (I have seen this look and it's pretty cute. You also could do another color to make it interesting & match your decor)


First-tear out your pages-

(You will notice I blackened out the name on the pages from picture to picture to protect me from those who may love this particular book)


Now you need to fold them, either accordian style or you can just roll them. Or even squish the one end if you want. I chose to do it accordian style.



Dab some glue inbetween the folds and on one side of the bottom of the page, making sure the outside of the book page edge is standing up. (meaning- glue the side of the page that was attached to the binding)attach these first ones to the bottom of the styrofoam wreath.


Go all the way around it.


When your done flip it over.

_______________

Now your going to do the sides a little differently then you did the bottom.

First fold your page as you had been, but at the bottom (again it's the part of the page that was attached to the binding) bend it in a little.


Add some glue to the end of it and firmly attached it to the bottom side of the foam.


Go around the whole wreath working your way up, and try to brick layer them too as you go.


As you get towards the top you will have to hold down the pages already done with one hand, while the other one is putting another one above it.

___________________

After you have made it all the way around up to the top, stop and glue some to the inside of the wreath the same way you glued the bottom (meaning do not bend the page).


Go all the way around it.



Now you fill in the top and anywhere else you see some gaps with the pages bent as you did with the sides.

______________

Once your satisfied. Turn it over to attach a ribbon and tack/or pin with hot glue. (I used whatever I could find since it will not show)


The back isn't pretty but no one will see it.



Now go hang it up and enjoy!





Add some tulle and bling to it, or??


If you use a thinner styrofoam wreath it will not be so thick all around, just depends on your preference. I will try it with a different one and see.
_______________


Have fun!!!


~V

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE this!!! I may have to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Super cute...but I do not know if I could bring myself to rip up a book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...