Rick Rack Rosettes

I wish I were clever enough to think of this idea, but I didn't . . . totally cute, though, and something I love! --Susanne

Rick Rack Rosettes
by Nikkala




A friend gave me this flower ring and necklace, when she handed them to me I thought they were porcelain–there’s a very vintage feel to them. From a distance you really can’t tell that they’re made out of rick rack! Yes, rick rack!
She shared how to make them with me, and now I’m sharing with all of you readers! The wow of the rosette comes from a few simple steps! She found this tutorial, in Portuguese I believe.
First, cut 2 strips of rick rack. She said that the medium sized rick rack works the best–so that’s what I’ve used. No need to find out for myself, I’m taking her word for it. I cut the rick rack 10-12″, depending on how big of a flower I want to end up with.
Then twist the two pieces of rick rack together, like this.
And then run a stitch down one side to hold it all together.
Like so.
And to make the flower, you just start from one end and roll it up. I add small dots of hot glue, just to keep it all together.
Keep rolling.
Until you have this–and then tuck the little tail under and hot glue it down. I also glue a small circle of felt or fleece on the back, just to finish it off. To make your flower wearable glue it on a ring blank, a necklace, or on clips for little girl’s hair. Can you think of other fun places to put these rosettes?
You’ll notice all of the petals are closed, so to open them up you just peel them back one by one. Until it looks like a flower. As you wear it, the petals tend to close up, so re-opening it will be necessary. Unless you prefer it closed of course.

And here it is on my finger. A totally crafty cocktail ring.
Awesome.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this - hm, I am seeing a few lined up on a barrette in Z's hair ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a few of these for Mother's Day for friends... they turned out GREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is that!!! I would love to add some of these to a pillow! thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...