{Book Review} "Elixir"


Quote on what the book is about-

"Seventeen-year-old Clea, the daughter of a senator and a famed surgeon, is a paparazzi magnet, photojournalist, and world traveler. Things change when she notices a handsome, timeless young man in her vacation pictures. Even more unsettling, in some photos he seems to float, and the specter soon haunts her dreams as well. Vivid visions of past lives with this man make Clea curious and lead her to the jungles of Brazil, where her father has gone missing while on a search for the “elixir of life.”


This book is written by Hilary Duff-yep that Hillary Duff, the cute girl from Lizzy McGuire. She has turned into a beautiful woman with many talents.

This book though didn't feel original, I felt like I was reading several books put together-ones I have read before. The story flowed well, and I actually was intriqued at the beginning to uncover this mystery. In the end I felt disapointed, she was obviously leading us to a sequal but to be honest I will not be picking it up even if someone left it on my doorstep.

The characters were superficial, I could not learn to love or hate them, they were just there, although Clea's friend Rayna was funny at times in the book it was not enough for me, and I am so tired of the whole "torn between two men" story line too. I may be old fashion too, but I am soooooo... not a prud, yet I have to say the author took the book to a place it didn't need to go. In fact up to that point, it was a somewhat clean book, not sure why she felt the need to put casual sex in a book geared towards teens, but maybe like the rest of the world she feels like why fight it? I tend to feel the opposite and want to see an author stand up for once! I felt it was not only unnecessary but ruined the rest of the book, it wasn't so much about having sex, but the silly way she went into it, cheesy, corny, just plain dumb and if I was Clea- a huge turnoff! But maybe that's me?

2 stars

Teen-Young Adult read 16+ imo
Adventure-Mystery-Supernatural
Adult Sexual Themes-Minor language-Minor Violence



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...